The best way to a buyer’s eyes is through attractive real estate images. Selling a house or a property is not that easy that is why having eye-catching pictures of it will actually help you to get their “YES”. First impression is also important to draw potential buyers. With today’s technology, homebuyers are already into online searching of a home and a property. And with nearly 25% of these homebuyers were actually first found their purchased property through online real estate websites. Thus, pictures play a big role in promoting your real estate property. Here we have gathered information, compiled and came up to these 4 real estate photo tips to help you draw homebuyers.
- Good Lighting – This is very important to every photo you are taking. For interior shots, it is best to turn on all the lights in the room and using flash. Since flash adds in correct colors and fills in the shadows, it will make the room look brighter. While for the exterior shots, the light came from the sun itself is the perfect one. Take shooting in the middle of the day wherein the sun shines so bright with matching blue sky.
- A Clear, Nice Shot – Avoid blurred photos. Make them sharp as possible since it will not destroy the image’s details. Some buyers are fond about details so pay attention to it. Have a good focal point and remove distracting objects along the way like toys, dirty dishes and garbage.
- The More, The Better – Most of the buyers do not want photos of the property to be in limited shots. You cannot convince them with just a front photo of the house. They want to see every corner and rooms inside the house like the living room, bedroom, and even its lawn. If the house is located in a very attracting view like beach and forest-like area, try to emphasize its beauty.
- Go Pro and Edit – Invest on high quality equipments especially the camera to be used. They are your assets and also have longer lifespan. Aside from these, learn how to edit your photos. This will help you improve your photos, correct its colors, removes color cast, straighten and have a proper cropping.
Having a clear photo shots is what we always wanted to achieve. To attain this, a digital SLR is still not enough. A good tripod is also a must. A camera and a tripod is always the perfect combination. Even if you are just using point-and-shoot camera (compact) or a digital SLR camera, by using a tripod, it really doesn’t matter. It can still come up to the same quality that each camera have. Tripod has many advantages even though they are not pocket size; they are worth having for to any even worth taking or on photography experiments. So, here are the five (5) tips to know.
- Practice – “Practice makes perfect”. So why not practice? Getting to know more about the camera and the use of a tripod makes your shooting closer to professional-looking one. Start from the basics to the advance one. Never stop learning, explore more and experiment more. Know where all the levers and knobs are and what its functionality. You can practice at home or any place you are comfortable with. Also take to consider a good place for practice since it affects the mood and moment.
- Position – Position to the angle that best suits your photo. If possible, make it really low or really high. One of tripod’s advantages is that when taking photos, you really do not have to hold the camera or hold it for a long time. Positioning it very low of very high can create some stunning shooting angles that gives life and story to your photos.
- Level – Leveling your tripod will help in steadying shots and minimizes blurred shots and camera noise. Put your tripod in a well-leveled floorings or grounds to perfectly catch what you really want to achieve. If your tripod does not have built-in spirit level, you can buy a tiny and inexpensive one from any hardware store and then tape it to the side of the tripod’s head.
- Weight – Add some weight to it. This will help to stabilize your tripod during windy conditions. The little hook hanging underneath the tripod head is use for hanging weights.
- Clean – As much as possible, keep it clean. With proper care of your tripod will make it last. After using it, extend the legs in full and give them a wipe so that they will not gather dirt and grit. If it is been in muddy places, rinse it thoroughly with clean water.
It is normal to keep a lot of the image in focus as possible when shooting typical landscape photography. It is very important to understand first the aperture before taking any actions. Remember that the bigger the amount, the lesser the actual aperture is. That is why selecting a small aperture is better to make sure that the photo will end up having a large depth of field. With this, you can assure that parts of the image that are both close and far away from you will have a chance of getting a good focus for your landscape images.
How do I get a good focus?
This is a common question to ask. But before achieving the most wanted focal point, you need to know and understand “Where you should set your focus before taking a landscape shot”. That is why the best answer for that question is to “know where to focus to get a good focus”.
Now, at what point in the shot should I set my focus?
Since most of the digital camera users would set their focal point in the middle of the shot or level it in the horizontal perspective, it may perhaps not be the ideal position to focus your camera.
In this point, it can help you get the maximum amount to achieve that stunning landscape shot. You can see where the thirdway point of the shot in the given example above. However if you have your particular point of interest, then this rule is not appropriate to follow. If your landscape does not have any specific point of interest, the rule is most likely worthy to use.
Generally, if the focus is too far, you will end up having objects in the distance nice and sharp but whatever thing that is closer to you is visibly out of focus. Nevertheless if your focus is at the lower third point, you increase its depth of field in the foreground and as it extends further behind the focal point than in front of it, the distant objects will be sharp too.
There are also factors to consider before using this rule. It still depends on the focal length of your lens, the format of shooting, the aperture and how far the scene it should be. However this rule is useful especially to amateurs and photography enthusiast.
Studio-looking photo portrait is very attracting and we often think that it is very difficult to do. Even if it not taken from any studio, once you have captured one, processing it to any photo editing software brings out the true beauty. There are many elements can interfere with the portrait that gives distractions to the viewers, which is why Photoshop is commonly used to salvage and enhance these images. Here are some techniques that photo editors most frequently used for portrait editing.
- Setting up your White Balance – Before starting any kind of editing, setting your white balance is a must. It is used to have natural-looking skin colors and removes color cast that affects the totality of the portrait. It is important if you are shooting in indoors with ambient lightning. Aside from Photoshop you can also use Adobe Lightroom to edit the photo’s white balance.
- Use of Spot Healing or Healing Tool – Using this tool will help in removing unwanted spots in the face like pimples, blemishes, and dark spots. Spot healing tool is commonly used for easy spot removing. Healing brush tool, on the other hand, can be used to seamlessly remove any distracting bruises, hairs and other skin imperfections. It is also best for removing camera lenses. However, you must not overdo it since it will damage the skin and may create patterns.
- Red eyes removal – Red eyes cannot be avoided in most cases especially if you are using the camera’s flash. This is a very distracting one because the portrait will look like a monster with glowing eyes! And everyone would not want to have eyes like that since it does not look natural. Adobe Photoshop already have an eye correction feature.
- Teeth whitening – Aside from the red eyes stated above, yellowish teeth is also one of the main distractions of the portrait. Having bright, white teeth is want we always want. You can select the teeth area and adjust its hue, saturation or even color balance to minimize the yellow color and whitens them.
- Skin Softening – Lastly, having natural-looking skin which looks soft is one of the elements that can easily be noticed. Editing the skin, making it look soft and smooth will make that portrait looks like taken from the studio and edited by the professionals.
Shooting and printing photos are incredibly fun and enjoyable. To have a perfect-looking or professional-looking photo is everyone’s most desirable treasure to cherish every precious moment together with their loved ones. On the other hand, not every one of us can achieve such aptness and sometimes it can be a bit ordeal especially when printing out those photos. Without the right preparation, the printed photos would lead to look dull, gloomy and unwanted objects become much noticeable. These cannot be stunning and does not even meet your satisfaction. To prevent this, here are the things you need to know before printing your photos.
1. Good Camera Shot – This can be easy to do but it can also be tricky. Since not all of us have DSLR cameras, having a good camera shot is the basic thing you need to get. Even if you are just using digital or compact cameras, you can still achieve good-looking shots by learning how to use the gadget properly and by having the right camera angle of the object. Composition in shooting is also a plus especially if the photo is telling something special. It will also add exquisiteness to the totality of the image.
2. Basic Photo Editing – To have a little background about photo editing is an advantage since it will enhance your photos. Sometimes we cannot avoid unwanted objects to appear in our photos and this would distract its entirety. You can use third party programs such as Adobe Photoshop, Gimp, and Adobe Elements to add more adjustments and effects to your photos.
3. File Compression – This is the crucial part I must say. Even if your photos are already attractive but having a lesser quality won’t make it an ideal one. File compressing is about preserving the quality of a photo from the time it was taken by the camera to the editing and lastly to printing. One common effects of poor quality is that your image has more noise and blurred edges. We do not want our photos to look like this right? We want its clarity, so understanding this part is very essential to print high-quality images
4. Right Paper To Use – This is also an important factor to consider. Using the right paper for printing gives that professional-looking photo, preserves its vivid colors and for the test of time to maintain the quality. We do want our printed photos to be exactly like the images stored in our computer or storages. Best example is to use glossy paper to print your family pictures.
Image viewer plays an important role in photography and Image editing. Good photo viewer software means having accurate color integration, photo tagging, faster image viewing and loading speed, and have tool and features for photo management and enhancement. In view of the fact that digital photography is widely available today, hundreds of tools are already developed in order to improve these photography tasks. Another issue that most photographers and even ordinary users commonly encounter is to be able to view images from different file formats. JPG is the most common format that is used today. Because of its quality and compressed size, it is supported by every viewer that you may know. Seeing as not all photographers uses JPG as their image file format and others tend to use its RAW file format, it is important that the photo viewer you are using supports a wide range of formats such as TIFF, PSD and NEF. Here we have listed some Photo Viewers that a faster and consistent performance and is best used for photography and image editing.
FastStone Image Viewer – It has an excellent user interface in a full screen mode and at the same time has different pop-up panels that will appear when a mouse pointer hovers to any sides of the screen. It also includes handy thumbnail slider for faster viewing and browsing, colour management, and a clever zooming feature. In its higher version, it has basic photo editing tools and features such as curves, levels, unsharp mask and clone tool.
ACDSee – A simple replacement for the default windows photo viewer. Faster in loading speed no matter how big its file size and has good color integration for different display monitors. The software also has batch processing, faster image renaming, and thumbnail slider and supports 11 file formats. You can convert different file formats with the use of it’s “save as” function. Handy and easy to use since it has a friendly user interface (GUI).
XnView – The most versatile of all viewers because it can read 500 types of graphic files and can convert these to more than 50 formats. It has a quick image display, image processing, apply filters and effects and create web pages. It is also best for previewing panoramic images since you can change the layout of its thumbnail window.
Picasa – Google’s Picasa has a separate image viewer program. An Easy, fast and simple program to use that is also an ideal replacement for windows photo viewer. It also reads a lot of formats such as RAW and PSD. It also has some photo editing functions and has a good zooming effect.
As a designer, to be able to clip out images of different detail is one of the Photoshop skills that we need to posses. This is very useful when it comes to creating print designs, web designs, and fancy artworks or even in photography. Removing a subject from its background seems to be easier said than done but knowing the right technique is an appropriate way to do it smoothly and nicely. In this blog, we have listed the different Photoshop masking techniques that you need to know starting from the basic to the advance method. Enjoy!
The Basic Selection Techniques
In every application like Adobe Photoshop, there comes the easiest way to do certain thing. This group is what we can say the essentials of doing masking. This is best for beginners and amateurs in photo editing industry. If an image has a well defined edges, outline and high contrast between pixels, these techniques are the most convenient way to use.
Quick Selection Tool
This tool is one of the easiest techniques to use when it comes to selection. You simply select an object by painting over that area. The tool automatically finds the edges of that object.
Magic Wand Tool
Works almost the same with quick selection tool but instead of painting over an object, all you have to do is to click on that object. From the name itself, it already suggests magic in selecting objects from your images. This can be handy and most useful for selecting areas of similar colors surrounded by other subtracting colors.
Lasso Tool/Magnetic/Polygonal Lasso Tool
You can use this tool to make selections that requires both freehand and straight lines. An easy tool to use but not that good for clipping out images since it does not produce smoother curves.
Eraser/Background Eraser/Magic Eraser Tool
The eraser family is another tool in Photoshop that most beginners usually used. For amateurs and newbie in Photoshop, the first scheme they employ when removing background is to erase it that’s why it is seen as another amateurish means. The output is still not as good as what other techniques offer.
The Advance Masking Techniques
After the basics, knowing the advance way of selection techniques makes you round up to the next level. Using this section’s techniques prepares you for any clipping challenges that may come in your way of editing.
The path tool is commonly used when doing clipping paths. Clipping path is one of the great ways to cut out picture since the output has a smooth curves and edges. It also works the same with the Lasso tool; you have to manually draw around the subject to make a selection. However, when using pen tool, you have the ability to create smooth curves, all points in the path are editable and can be also saved for later use.
Layer Masking has also the same rule as the eraser tool. Whereas the eraser tool is destructive technique than layer mask since you will only be using the brush tool to remove and add again the background. The basic principle of this technique is that black is SEE TROUGH and white is SOLID. So, when you use black-colored brush, it will erase the areas that will be painted on while white-colored brush will make that areas go back to its original appearance.
This technique is best for removing hairy objects from its original background since it is hard to do clipping path and other mentioned techniques above on these scenarios. The idea is to choose from either red, green, and blue channel of the image, depending on which of them has the best contrast then adjusting the tone using levels/Curves tool in order to achieve easy selection. This is often used by photographers or in studio photos of models.
With the advancement of our technology today, you can almost do anything with your Smartphone. Since Smartphone comes in handy, a lot of applications are coming out these days to perk up its capabilities and at the same time your experience with your phone. Even photo editing that we usually do using our laptops and personal computers can also be do with our mobile phones.
Before, photo editing apps can only do most basic edits but nowadays they are already added with more functionality and produce professional-looking photos. Here, I have listed the best photo editing apps that you can use using your Smartphone.
Pho.to Lab is a heavily-featured app. You can enjoy choosing different frames since it comes with over 500 frames for your photos. It also has countless photo filters, backgrounds, photo collage and one thing that makes this app so popular is because it has a human-to-animal montage feature that turns your face into an animal’s face. It comes with a free and paid version.
PicsArt Photo Studio
PicsArt Photo Studio is a solid FREE app. If you are a collage fan, this app is best for you since it offers a wide variety of photo collages. However, it does not primarily focuses on collages but also has a bunch of features to choose from. That includes basic photo editing like filters, effects, controls and its unusual finger-painting stickers.
There’s really a lot to expect from Photoshop. If you are a big fan of Adobe products, this app is a MUST have. This mobile version of Photoshop is not nearly as powerful as its desktop application but you can do some Photoshop basics such as working with layers. Photoshop Touch offers conventional mobile photo editing like filters, color correction and camera fills. It is also compatible to its desktop version using Adobe Creative Cloud.
Photo Editor by Aviary
Photo Editor by Aviary has a more composed set of actual editing features. It also has basics such as applying photo filters, stickers and the like. What makes this app differ from others is that it has extra tools like red-eye removal, whitening teeth and removing blemishes.
Photo Editor Pro
Photo Editor Pro is an app with a one-touch feature to apply filters and basic photo enhancement tools. It is best to those who want photo editing easier to use and for beginners who does not have ample familiarity about photo editing.
Last in our list is SnapSeed. It is owned by Google and is worth having for. There’s really a whole lot better about this app than the Google+ photos app. It has auto-tune, auto-correct features and other basic adjustments, filters and frames. This app is fun and easy to use and is definitely a PLUS for all Google supporters out there.
Lighting is one of the most important things to consider when editing real estate photos. Interior shots with good lighting make it clear, bright, clean and catchy to the eyes of the viewers. Most of us use the camera’s flash in order to achieve the perfect lighting effect of our photos. While some professional photographers suggest turning on all the lights, use other photography equipments and use a flash to fill in shadows, making the room look brighter. But doing so is not that easy since there are some factors that hinder its aptness.
Take this image as an example. If you notice, the image is dark and seems to be gloomy. With this kind of photo, anyone would not think of buying your real estate property. That’s why using photo editing software like Adobe Photoshop or Adobe Lightroom is used to enhance and get what we would like to comprise in our photos.Using Adobe Lightroom 4 Catalog, you can do basic editing to perk up your real estate photos. First, you need to open your Adobe Lightroom 4 Catalog (Any version of it will do). In the Library tab, Import all the images that you want to edit. Select all of them and click on the Develop tab. So, you will come up to something like this.
Now, you can use presets you adjust a little of your contrast. Here I had played my own preset. The next thing you will do is to adjust the Exposure. Adjusting the exposure is a little tricky because if you will overdo it, some areas of your photo will be washed out. To avoid this, you can adjust the Recovery section. We will use this to lessen up the washed out areas especially on the window view of this photo.
With these settings, brush the areas that are dark and make sure it is well blended with the background. To achieve this, you need to have a bigger brush so adjust its size. And brush, brush and brush..! After that, set your Blacks to 2-3 percent.
For the final retouch, adjust the colors if there are colors that are too bright. Because we adjusted the exposure earlier, some colors will be affected making it too bright and distracting. You must be also very careful in this part since too much tuning of these colors will make your photo lifeless. We would not want our photos to look lifeless right? We want it to be vivid in colors but not too disturbing. Here, I have adjusted the colors Green and orange since I find it too intense.
Not all photographs can convey the exact appearance of what the photographers want us to look at. There are certain factors that affect the totality of an image. It could be the lightning, angles and sharpness of the photo after shooting a particular subject. Sometimes, the images itself do not possess the quality that most photographers want and do not want to see in their photograph. As regards to this, High Dynamic Range Photo Editing is the best approach.
What is High Dynamic Range (HDR)?
As defined by Wikipedia, High Dynamic Range (HDR) is a set of techniques used in imaging and photography to reproduce a greater dynamic range of luminosity than possible using standard digital imaging or photographic techniques. HDR images can represent more accurately the range of intensity levels found in real scenes, from direct sunlight to faint starlight, and is often captured by way of a plurality of differently exposed pictures of the same subject matter.
HDR is commonly used for image enhancement and artistic photography. Using some HDR effects will make your image come to life as it fills out light from certain areas that the camera cannot perceive and what our eyes can. It is as if you as actually looking and standing at the scene itself. With your dull and flat unedited image, HDR editing will make it even beautiful than the original one.
The average human eye can see more light (about 11 stops of light) than the camera’s lens. A stop is a unit for measuring the amount of light. On the other hand, a camera is only about 3 stops of light. This would mean that you have to set your camera to take multiple shots of a particular scene with different shutter speeds to achieve the full range of lightning.
Software that offers HDR Processing
There are a lot of applications that you can use to achieve HDR Imaging. Some of them are FREE and some may cost a little bit but the point here is to achieve HDR Images. Here I have listed the most commonly used softwares when it comes to photo editing.
1. Adobe Photoshop/Elements
2. Adobe Lightroom
3. Photmatix Pro
4. Nik and On One